Friday, March 23, 2012

A Relaxing Week in Gulu

I am starting to realize how fast the end of the semester will come. After returning from Kigali we only had two days of classes, we only have one more lecture for the semester and only one more excursion. This week and next are dedicated to completing all of our assignments before our research period starts. We were given three days off from classes in order to have time to write papers. I have basically been living in the two popular internet cafes in Gulu in attempt to write three papers and a research proposal. I have to admit that right now this blog post is functioning as a procrastination tactic more than anything.

In two and a half weeks we will be done with all of our classes and our home-stay, then a month of research begins. I am incredibly excited to live on my own in Gulu. A few of my classmates and I are currently house hunting for a place to rent, but it's a challenge because once people learn we are a group of American students they want to double their prices. Hopefully we will find one soon.

Nothing too exciting has happened this week, it has been a good time to just be with my host family and get homework done. I was hoping to catch up on sleep, but that has been a challenge. My family's routine usually consists of everyone getting home by 8:00, watching a Nigerian movie or two (which if you have never seen a Nigerian movie they are similar to Lifetime movies except more dramatic), eating dinner around 10:30, and having tea or soda while finishing the movie until 11:30ish. I have loved the time with them this week, but I have no idea how they do this every night.

Our academic director finally checked the mail for the first time this semester, so thank you so much for everyone who sent me a letter. It made my week, and it was so good to hear from home.

7 comments:

  1. did you post this instead of doing homework? :)
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, do your homework and then have fun. Your loving Uncle Dennis

    PS - Steph would organize cupboards when procrastinating homework. Leveraging a place with beverages must come from the Smith side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everyone remembers that young Katie becomes an adult (at least pursuant to the laws of Minnesota) on March 30 when she turns 21. That does beg the question as to what is the legal age to consume liquor in Uganda. We all know how much Katie likes to party. :)
    I wonder if she will celebrate at an Applebee's or an Old Chicago.

    Be Safe Katie.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY KATIE!!!!!!!!!!
    When u get home me, u and Patrick will have to go out for some drinks. And Calvin can be our taxi driver. Haha. He would so love that. Hope your having a GREAT day!

    Your Favorite Cousin
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie!! Happy Birthday!!! I love reading about your trip, and what a blessing to be on an adventure on your birthday!!!
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're enjoying Uganda Katie. It's been great to hear about your adventures. Happy 21st Birthday! I see Steph has volunteered me to play "taxi". I guess that will work for a few months. Looking forward to seeing you!
    Your most favorite cousin,
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! :)
    -ERIN

    ReplyDelete