Sunday, February 5, 2012

PICTURES!

This is the first time I have had internet since the group met. I am currently sitting in a cute coffee shop down the street from our hotel, and they have had to restart the internet twice in a half hour. I'm glad I have good company. With any luck I will get all of my pictures posted.

So loading pictures took a REALLY long time so here are a few. This is the family that hosted me for my first week in Kampala. It is Jessica, Nelson, and their son Daniel. They have four more children that I had the opportunity to spend time with but only two of them live at home.


Here is their home


This is Quinto (the man who kindly drove me while in Kampala), myself, and Doreen (Another one of Jessica and Nelson's children). We visited Jinja and took a boat around part of the Nile. After the boat trip we went to Ntanda Falls which is one set of rapids on the Nile. I was super jealous of the rafters and kayakers we watched. 


After my stay with these wonderful people I went to Entebbe to meet my group. We are now in Gulu and are staying in a hotel together until Tuesday. One Tuesday we are going to our home-stays. We have been getting to know each other, learning about the area, starting to learn the local language (Acholi), playing cards and eating a LOT of food. I don't think I have been hungry since I arrived in Uganda. Right now I am anxious to start classes, nervous about using the language, and looking forward 
to our group excursions. 

5 comments:

  1. You touched the Nile. Awesome. I'm jealous. There is something to be said about seeing you in a picture - it's comforting - thanks. Keep the pictures coming - can you get one of a hippo? They are sort of like ponies. Except aquatic, hairless and a bit rounder.

    Love, Ann and Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey katie,
    its sooo! cool that you got to see the nile! i feel happy for you:)
    the house is very pretty, it must be kinda tall.
    sounds like u r doing great!!!:)
    your cuz, Erin
    P.S.what kind of food do you eat there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're enjoying the updates Katie, thanks for making the time! Praying for you!

    In Him,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the pics. Anxious to hear about the other 10 in your group and how it all goes. G and G

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm at Luna for the first time this semester :) Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete